The church was built in 1692 and is a good example of Norwegian church architecture from the time after the Reformation. The church has not changed very much since it was built. Around 1720 it was painted with a red base colour and decorated with flower motifs. The ceiling was painted blue and decorated with numerous stars. At the end of the building there is a christening house or front house, where babies were christened. This was before they were carried down the aisle to the altar as was the custom in those days. Information board on site. The church is close to the New Gimmestad Church.